dbFront now has the ability to export the database settings to a file which can then be transferred to another server and imported.
The process to migrate your settings to a new server are shown below. The default folders are show in brackets.
a) Setup dbFront and check configuration.
- Install dbFront on the new server and register it. (Automatic 30 day license to test and validate)
- Compare dbFrontService.exe.config, compare old with new. (c:\program files(x86)\dbFront\dbFrontService.exe.config)
- Compare web.config, compare old with new. (c:\inetpub\dbFront\web.config)
b) Copy Database Configuration
- Create the database connections on the new server.
- Export the settings from the old server. You will need to specify a database. See: Export/Import
- Ensure that only the settings are being exported.
- Import the settings at the new server. You will need to specify the destination database.
c) Copy Support Files
There are additional files that may also need to be moved.
- Excel Templates (c:\data\dbFront\Excel)
- Crystal Reports (c:\data\dbFront\CrystalReport)
- Quick Reports and Templates (c:\data\dbFront\Reporting)
- Custom Icons or CSS files (possibly c:\inetpub\dbFront\, images\, css\)
For more details see: Export/Import