Shadow I.T. SaaS, Silos and dbFront
Shadow I.T. or Dark I.T. refers to technology and projects that are brought into a company without the approval of the I.T. department.
The motive behind Shadow I.T. is usually good. Shadow I.T. represents employees struggling with productivity, budgets, and timelines and coming up with their own creative solutions. The unfortunate reality is that these well intentioned projects can have significant costs and risks.
The Cloud is a Silo, at another Vendor
The biggest source of costs and risk come from the age old I.T. problem of Silos, and worse, external Silos.
Silo's are the age old I.T. problem where different parts of an organization create their own information stores and processes that are incompatible with other systems. Silos create the challenge of sharing and syncronizing data because you want everyone working with a single version of the truth. For more details see: webopedia.com - information_silo
Cloud and SaaS based projects create new Silos, and these Silos are now located offsite at another vendor. The Cloud makes Silos even more complex because now the systems are not even managed and owned by a single group. After all, "The Cloud" is just a fancy name for "Someone else's computer".
The result is that someone now has the added responsibility for:
- Managing the security integration - What if an employee leaves?,
- Managing the data integration - Ensuring that shared data remains in sync,
- Ensuring compliance - SOX, FISMA, HIPAA, PCI DSS...,
- Dealing with backups and redundancy - How much do you trust the vendor?
How dbFront can help
By enabling the quick and easy creation of internal web applications, dbFront gives I.T. departments one more tool to get at the root of the Shadow I.T. problem.
Even better, dbFront avoids the Silo problem entirely by allowing you to re-purpose your existing data on your existing servers.
- dbFront installs locally and integrates with your existing network security. This avoids security integration issues.
- dbFront connects to your existing data in your existing database. This eliminates data syncronization issues.
- As a result, backup and compliance issues are also simplified.
For more details on how dbFront works see: Details