Installing the Web Application
The dbFront Installer is able to fully install the website within minutes.
This section is only for people who chose to manually install the website files or for those who would like to tweak the setting to better match there own environment.
If you chose a manual install then you will need to find where you saved the website files and use IIS Manager to create a Web Application.
The webserver needs to be Microsoft IIS version 6.0 or better. For more details see: Preparing Windows to host a Dotnet 4.0 website
Manually Installing dbFrontUI on the Web Server
- Ensure that your Web Server has the WebServer role configured.
- Copy the contents of the dbFrontUI folder somewhere on your server. A reasonable default is [C:\InetPub\dbFrontUI]
- Open IIS Server Admin and browse into the Application Pools
- Add an Application Pool with the following settings:
Name: dbFrontPool Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Enable 32-Bit Applications: True (Advanced Settings)
- In IIS Server Admin browse into your Default Web Site
- Create a WebApplication (Not WebSite) with the following settings:
Alias: dbfront Path: The path to the website files. e.g. [C:\InetPub\dbFrontUI] App Pool: Select the Application Pool you just created.
- Update the included [web.config] file and adjust the following settings:
NOTE: You should have the Cache and Logs folders outside the web folder.
ServiceHost: If the Web Server is in a DMZ this should be the IP address of the Firewall port leading into the network. Otherwise specify the Servername or IP address which is hosting the Application Service. ServicePort: The port used to communicate with the Application Server. The default is 42057. CachePath: e.g. [c:\\temp\\dbFrontCache\\] LogPath: e.g. [c:\\logs\\dbFrontUI\\]
Update an Existing Install
- Make a backup of your existing dbFrontUI folder.
- Update all files except the file named web.config.
Test the Install
- On the server browse to the URL where you installed dbFront, e.g. [http://localhost/dbFrontUI/].
- If you see a license notification then follow the directions to receive a license number for your server.
Login Screen Settings
The following [web.config] settings allow you to adjust the Login Screen functionality.
|Notice:||This represents an HTML formatted message that can be added to the head of the login screen.|
|RememberMe:||[true, false] Indicate if dbFront offers to remember the current user on that workstation.|
|UsageAgreement:||If set then the user will be required to indicate agreement before login.|
For more details see: Login Settings
If you encounter any issues then please read our Troubleshooting Guide.
The Next Step
Once the website is installed then the next step is to install and configure the application server.